Saturday, May 14, 2011

We All Can Make a Difference

We had our work End of Year Event just this Friday night.  These are always events that I look forward to.  Part of the reason I love my job is the people I work with.  Such a diverse group of people and the best part is that in the five and a half years that I have been working in the program something that stood out for me on this day and became clear- we all at some point or another make a difference in someone's life.  This happens on a daily basis.  At least for me I do not really think about it often.  It is not until you hear it from someone that it really becomes reality for you.  


There were two instances that day really stood out and meant the world to me to hear.  One staff member was a Teach for America student.  For those of you that do not know what Teach for America is, they recruit recent college graduates from all over to teach for two years in low income communities.  Pretty intense program and such an amazing diverse group of young individuals looking to make a difference in someones life-true leaders.  Our program recruited about six to come and work in our Head Start program. As I was talking to some of them that day it is was so rewarding to hear their stories from when they first started with Teach for America and their first year as a teacher in our Head Start classrooms.  How far they have come!


One corp member in particular came up to me and we started talking about the program year.  I told her that I was thinking just the other day the first time I met her and how much time just goes so fast.  She responded back and told me that just the other day she was telling one of her co workers about the first day that we met.  Our program was giving orientation to the Teach for America corp members, kind of like a meet and greet.  She said that when she first met me, and there was something about me that  just drew her to me.  She said I made her feel comfortable when she felt scared of what was to lie ahead.  To hear that made my heart melt and to know that I had impacted her in that way is something that I will never forget.  Another staff member was graduating with her AA in Early Childhood.  She had her college graduation that night  and said to me that it would not be possible without me believing in her and pushing her to complete this.  There are many others now that I look back, but I won't bore you :)


We all have the opportunity to change lives for the better, and we all have the opportunity to let that someone else know what a difference they have made in your life by telling them. Part of why I started the Paying Tribute series in my blog page.  Go out into the world, have fun and remember that each and every day you impact a life in some what or another or you have someone in your life that has done the same for you.  Tell them, life is too short to live with regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment