Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Things That Are Most Important.......

The past two days I have spent in the hospital because my husband had spinal surgery.  All I have to say is thank goodness for doctors, nurses and aids. My family thought that it was funny when I said, I don't like hospitals, except for the fact that they heal peeps.

As I spent time at the hospital the past couple days, I came to realize that life is so precious.  I had a lot of time to people watch. There was one thing that I noticed immediately and that was unity.  Family and friends coming together to provide love and support for their loved ones when they need it most.

I started to think that sometimes it takes a scare or even something worse to happen in order to recognize what the most important things in life are and to me that is friends and family.  I am so blessed for the amazing friends I have in my life. I have surrounded myself with the best of the best, and have been lucky enough to have them let me into their lives.  I also have such an amazing family and huge support system.

I always have the mantra to surround yourself with people that love you, and as long as you have that nothing else matters.   It is so comforting to know that if you allow yourself to be vulnerable, and open up your heart to others, that your life becomes so much richer and relationships become that much stronger.

Thank you to my friends and family, I am eternally grateful for every single one of you. You know who you are!

2 comments:

  1. This is so true!

    I wish the hubs a speedy recovery! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caregiver: that word should weigh more than others on a page, sag it down a bit and wrinkle it, because the simple-sounding job frazzles as it consumes and depletes. Not that it's only gloomy. Caregiving offers many fringe benefits, including the sheer sensory delight of nourishing and grooming, sharing, and playing. There's something uniquely fulfilling about being a lodestar, feeling so deeply needed, and it's fun finding creative ways to gladden a loved one's life. But caregiving does buttonhole you; you're stitched in one place.
    Diane Ackerman, One Hundred Names for Love: A Stroke, A Marriage, and the Language of Healing, 2011

    ReplyDelete